Annuities (Meets Suitability & Best Interest Guidelines) - CFP®
CFP® Certification CE
4 credit hours
If purchased today, this course must be completed by:
December 31, 2022 (135 Days)
Insurance Continuing Education
In this course you will be introduced to terms and concepts used in connection with annuity contracts. Each new term is defined in the text and included in the Glossary. The concepts are explained and, where appropriate, are demonstrated through the use of examples.
At the conclusion of each lesson, a Chapter Review is presented to test comprehension of the material presented in the chapter. A response is given to each answer you select to the questions in the Chapter Review affirming the correct choice or explaining why the choice you selected was incorrect.
This information is important for agents selling annuity contracts to customers and for advisers assessing the appropriateness of an annuity contract for a client. An understanding of the operation, advantages and disadvantages of annuities and the methods used to determine their cash value will assist the agent and adviser to better serve consumers and help ensure that annuity contracts are recommended and purchased only when they are suitable to meet client needs.
Learning Objectives: Upon completion of this basic course, the student should be able to:
- Describe a typical annuity buyer and the principal reasons individuals buy annuity contracts
- List the characteristics of annuities and the benefits of tax deferral
- Explain how variable annuities work
- Identify the cash value management tools available to a variable annuity contract owner
- List the factors to be considered in determining variable annuity suitability
- Calculate interest to be credited under various fixed annuity contracts
- Explain the operation of indexed annuities
- Describe how annuities are taxed
- Recognize the requirements imposed on the sale of variable annuities under Regulation Best Interest
This course has been certified by:
Rules for CFP® Certification CE
- Course material may be downloaded. Most online materials will have a PDF version available on your dashboard to download.
- Exam is open book. You will not be able to access the online materials at the same time as the exam, but you may use your notes and the PDF download of the material, if that is available for your particular course.